The water treatment industry relies upon the germicidal effect of chlorine for safe drinking water. And has for decades. Even though we widely recognize that chlorine when in water creates dangerous compounds (Trihalomethanes), we still rely on it.
Due to these health risks as well as environmental concerns we, at Best Water, invest considerable time and effort into reducing and eliminating chlorine. High on the list of alternatives is Ultra Violet Purification (UV). UV has proven in many instances to be as effective as chlorine, minus the toxic by-products.
The UV Process
- This process replicates the disinfectant role of the sun.
- A low pressure mercury vapor lamp encloses in a protective transparent sleeve (usually quartz).
- It then emits a powerful germicidal ultraviolet light ray at 253.7 nanometers (nm) wave length.
- As this light ray penetrates water, the genetic components of bacterial micro-organisms in water absorb light energy.
- Typically this costs pennies per hundreds of gallons of water treated.
- This disrupts its DNA and prevents them from reproducing:
-Microbiological organisms such as, bacterial Coliforms, E Coli, Cryptosporidium and Salmonella.
-Giardia, parasites, yeast, viruses, mold and algae render, unable to propagate without the use of chemicals or other difficult processes.
Depending on the characteristics of your water, UV treatment may be an excellent choice to eliminate biological contamination from your water. Also, you can utilize it whether your home or business is on a municipal water system or a private system. With a UV water sanitizer you can continue to use your municipal water even when you receive the occasional “must boil your water” alert.
Ultra Violet’s Sole Purpose is to Kill Harmful Biological Contaminants.
This technology requires that water has a high level of clarity, since it loses its effectiveness in water that has sediment and turbidity, minerals like sulfur, manganese and iron in it. In cloudy water microorganisms can hide behind silt, sulfur or iron particles causing germicidal ultraviolet light ray to be unable to pass through these impurities and reach the bacterial cell structure. Therefore, in some cases pre-treatment methods are required to clarify the water enough that the Ultra Violet rays can penetrate the cell walls. Also, granular activated carbon, carbon block or simple sediment cartridge filtration, depth filtration, KDF or Reverse Osmosis will reduce turbidity, sediments, heavy metals, chlorine, VOC’s and other chemical contaminants.
- Environmentally safe.
- Does not require storage of hazardous chemicals, therefore there’s no need to worry.
- Eliminates the worry of under dosing ,or over dosing chemicals into the water.
- Is energy efficient requiring about the same amount of electricity to operate as a 60 watt light bulb.
- Does not produce by-products or alter the taste, smell or the pH of the water.
- Microbiologically safe, pure water without chlorine, chemical taste or smell.
- Does not damage the environment or our bodies, so who can say no to that?
- So, I’ll drink to that!!
If you have a concern about the contaminants in your water give us a call.
Gainesville: 352-372-2707 or Ocala: 352-369-1707